Tags

, , , ,

Tuesday 3rd December – 38th meeting of 2013

We met at London Bridge station and made our way over to the 149 bus stop to catch the bus which luckily stopped almost outside the museum.

geffrye 1

From the outside the building – originally 14 almshouses for ironmonger’s widows, which was built in 1715 by Sir Robert Geffrye, a former Mayor of London, looked very attractive as they are grouped around a courtyard on three sides containing gardens and trees.

Being situated in the former cabinet and furniture making area of London it was turned into a furniture museum in 1914 and shows room displays dating from Elizabethan times up to the twentieth century, housed in a 1998 extension. The room displays were decked out in the Christmas decorations appropriate to the age of the display. It was interesting to see how interiors of houses had altered in the amount of furniture they contain to the amount of light and colour which was used.

geffrye 3

We had a coffee in the cafe overlooking the back garden and the new overground railway station opposite, before making our way back through the displays and listening in to the various school groups visiting the museum. It amused us to find that our childhood era being explained in detail to one group and found we could remember several other details and enjoyed reminiscing.

We then made out way back to London Bridge by bus and got our trains home after a very nice morning.

geffrye 5

geffrye 4

Advertisements